By: Anonymous: Haakon ()  Monday, 26 December 2016 @ 08:35 PM ICT (Read 375 times)  


I live in Norway.
I bought a CB650F 2016 restricted version. (48hp) after i talked to my dealer and the importer company i found out that i can derestrict it but i cant get approved papers from Honda to do so. Since the frame number says its for restricted only, i would loose my warranty if i did this.

Is this a fact or is it some bs my dealer has come up with?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 26 December 2016 @ 11:56 PM ICT  

The performance restriction for the Honda CB650F are controlled by the ECU (Engine Control Unit), to remove the engine restriction you can remove the restriction by modifying the ECU… This way is often not works well and is very undocumented and yes you loose Honda warranty.

The second choice is to order a new ECU from Thailand, you get full 86 horsepower… and when you need a warranty claim you just change the old ECU back… Which involves a few screws and bolts and a few connectors, but is something somebody can do with little mechanical skill… Honda will never be able to say you un-restricted the motorcycle and have no warranty claim. They can only say that the kilometers on the dash doesn’t match the ECU… and you can easily dismiss that as you have some problems that the motorcycle sometimes displays strange kilometer and speed readings…. And suggest they look into that to fix it…

The third option is a aftermarket fueling modifying system, like the Power Commander or something likely… they probably still have some restrictions of the original ECU signals and you probably not get the full potential of your CB650F. But it’s possible that the ECU leaves traces that the engine revved beyond factory specifications, not takes a rocket scientist to figure out that you used a fuel-map modifying tool like a Dynojet Power Commander to do that… So again very likely no Honda Warranty...

Of course two is better than one, Thai ECU with Dynojet Power Commander give you probably the best performance.



Group Comfort
: +30
Registered:: 21/09/07

Posts: 351
By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 27 December 2016 @ 12:22 AM ICT  

Hello Haakon,

While Norway, is not a member of the European Union, a lot of European rules apply in your country, one is the drivers license for motorcycles limited to the horsepower of a scooter or motorcycle.

For instance if you buy a Honda CB650F restricted version you get it a good amount cheaper than the unrestricted version. While the only real difference is some firmware uploaded to the ECU. Also the end-can of the exhaust is often different on restricted motorcycles as it makes sense to make two two identical motorcycles sound different.

In the UK (Storbritannia) as example it is possible that a person who have an entry level driver license buys a restricted motorcycle and progress to the next level drivers license and can “unlock” his motorcycle at the dealer… He needs to apparently show his new level of drivers license….

In Thailand we have only one drivers license, you can do your riding test on a 115cc scooter, pay 150 THB (just over 3 EURO) and some pictures, and leave the Department of Road Transport on a Suzuki Hayabusa without breaking any law… (if it’s a registered and insured motorcycle).



Group Comfort
: +34
Registered:: 27/08/07

Posts: 1985
3 posts :: Page 1 of 1


How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

  •  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Other polls | 8,769 votes | 21 Comments
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association
There are no upcoming events
Motorcycle Thailand on Facebook
Motorcycle Thailand on Facebook
My Account