By: Avoxz (offline)  Saturday, 28 November 2009 @ 07:15 AM ICT (Read 3402 times)  


I have a question. Is it possible to drive in Thailand with Australian Probationary Motorcycle Licence (this is aquired after the Learners Permit time is over and lasts a year with restrictions). Australian goverment official said, that it is not possible to drive with it in other countries, but he wasnt completely sure either.

Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. Also concerning neighbour countries towards India Smile

Thank you!



Group Comfort
: +1
Registered:: 27/11/09

Posts: 2
By: Anonymous: SamBam ()  Saturday, 28 November 2009 @ 10:34 AM ICT  

To ride or drive any vehicle in Thailand you need a international drivers permit, national drivers permits are accepted by most police officers. As they not care or simply do not know if the document in the hand is valid or not.

You can even rent a motorcycle in Thailand without ever the need to show your drivers permit, passport is however needed. Riding without a valid drivers permit is just a ticket of 400 Baht (Just over 10 US$).

We will however advice you to apply for an international drivers permit before traveling to Thailand, riding with an in-valid drivers permit can get you in serious problems when you have an accident. It happened in the past that foreign tourists who operated a vehicle in Thailand without a valid drivers permit where charged with murder. And needed to pay the victims family millions of Baht, this even when the “victim” was on the wrong side of the road driving again traffic or crossed the road ignoring the red traffic light.


By: Richard (offline)  Saturday, 28 November 2009 @ 10:49 AM ICT  

I agree with SamBam, it is best to have a valid international drivers permit before traveling to Thailand. It can keep you out a lot of unnecessary problems. More about the the International Drivers Permit can be found in our information WIKI International Driving Permit

It is also a good advice ask the Thai Embassy in Australia, as Thailand and Australia are not on the same level of International drivers permit (1949 vs 1968 international drivers permit agreement).



Group Comfort
: +10
Registered:: 01/10/07

Posts: 238
By: Avoxz (offline)  Saturday, 28 November 2009 @ 05:52 PM ICT  

alright guys,
thanks for the replies

It seems, that if I want to ride there half a year later, than I did my first licence, it is not allowed Sad

I wonder, If it makes more sense to do a local licence instead. Although I plan to ride thru the country and not to live there...

Any opinions?



Group Comfort
: +1
Registered:: 27/11/09

Posts: 2
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1


Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

  •  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Other polls | 207 votes | 0 Comments
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association
There are no upcoming events
What's New
Stories  last 2 days
Motorcycle Thailand on Facebook
Motorcycle Thailand on Facebook
My Account