By: Anonymous: Samuel ()  Monday, 07 February 2011 @ 11:15 PM ICT (Read 3008 times)  

I have a serious question about 50cc scooters, my wife tells me we cannot get insurance for them and cannot get them registered. I read the article about the 60cc scooter and was wondering if 10cc would made the difference.

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 10:36 AM ICT  

Quote by: Samuel

I have a serious question about 50cc scooters, my wife tells me we cannot get insurance for them and cannot get them registered. I read the article about the 60cc scooter and was wondering if 10cc would made the difference.

The reason why most 50cc scooters/motorcycles are not registered is because they don't pass the emission testing. The main problem is that 50cc scooters are powered by two-stroke engines.

So because 50cc or bigger two-stroke engine scooters do not pass the exhaust emission test, they cannot get registration... no registration means now-a-day that you cannot get insurance.

The Mbike JAF 60T-7 is powered by a 60cc four-stroke engine and registration (license plates) is no problem.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 11:09 AM ICT  

I believe I am correct that bikes 50cc or less are not allowed on the street so therefore cannot be registered. OK to ride in small sois without plates, they are quite common in Thailand. If your local 7-11 is just outside the moobahn entrance for instance or you live in a small rural village off the main road, I doubt you would have any problems.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 11:44 AM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

I believe I am correct that bikes 50cc or less are not allowed on the street so therefore cannot be registered. OK to ride in small sois without plates, they are quite common in Thailand. If your local 7-11 is just outside the moobahn entrance for instance or you live in a small rural village off the main road, I doubt you would have any problems.

50 or 60cc scooters can be registered without any problems... the only problem is that most 50cc scooters are two-strokes. And two-strokes are currently a no no for registration. A 50, 60 or 70cc four-stroke scooter should be no problem at all...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 8,343 votes | 19 Comments
TMEA MEMBER